The Sutton Law Firm
Your Subtitle text



Central Ohio Custody Lawyer
Child custody is possibly the most emotional and controversial issue in Domestic Relations. The custody of a child may be given to one parent (a sole residential parent) or to both parents through a shared parenting plan.  The Sutton Law Firm understands that this is a trying time for you and your family and vows to give your case the time and attention it deserves.


In Ohio, courts determine child visitation by using a “best interests of the child” standard. When deciding what your child’s best interests are, courts look at a series of factors. These factors will include the parent/child relationship and how the child is doing in the parent’s care and in the community.


Licking County Local Rule 19


Franklin County Local Rule 27 

Grandparent’s Rights in Ohio

Grandparents and other persons may request visitation rights by filing a motion while a divorce, dissolution, annulment, legal separation, or child support proceeding is pending or at any time after the final order is issued in the case. The court may grant reasonable visitation rights to a grandparent or other person who files a motion if it determines that the person has an interest in the child’s welfare and granting visitation is in the child’s best interest.

When Parents are not Married: If a child is born to an unmarried woman, the woman’s parents or other relatives may file a complaint asking for reasonable visitation rights. The child’s father and any of his relatives may file a complaint requesting reasonable parenting time or visitation rights if he has acknowledged paternity in accordance with Ohio law or has been determined to be the child’s father pursuant to a paternity proceeding. The father can also petition the court for custody, not just parenting time.  The court may grant custody, parenting time or visitation rights if it determines that doing so is in the child’s best interest.

When a Parent Dies:
If the father or mother of an unmarried minor child dies, the court may grant the deceased person’s parents and other relatives visitation rights during the child’s minority. The parents or other relatives must file a complaint requesting visitation rights, and the court must determine whether visitation is in the child’s best interest.

Newark, Ohio Child Support Attorney
Child support, which is determined by a statutory formula, must be calculated.
The State of Ohio has guidelines to be used in initially determining the amount of child support.  The health insurance needs of the child will also be provided for, along with the designation of which parent receives the tax dependency exemption and child credit.  The Sutton Law Firm can perform a correct computation of child support in your case to help you protect your financial interests.  

Free consultation:

Contact The Sutton Law Firm for a free, no obligation consultation with an attorney about your case. We serve clients throughout Central Ohio, including Zanesville, Heath, Buckeye
Lake, Granville and Columbus

Phone:  740.349.8384  

Website Builder